Max & Brad Summer Hike from Breckenridge to Copper
It was the challenge Max and I have waiting for... Is it possible
to hike from Breckenridge to Copper by going up and over
the Breck Ski Mountain?
The answer: Yes!... The details:
- Distance: 12.8 miles.
- Elevations: 2800 feet up, 2900 feet down.
- High Point: 12,460 feet.
- The Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes (seriously, we knew Max could
go that fast, but not the human!).
- The Goofball: Once above 12,000 feet, despite being in direct
sun above timberline, Max decided water was unecessary - apparently
cool temps can cancel summer sun!
- The Air: At 12,200 feet, Brad experienced his first ever,
"Hey, this air is thin" event.
- The Double Goofball: Once above 12,000 feet, Max kicked into
another gear and really wanted to up the pace!
Taking our first break at Peak 9 Restaurant on Breck Ski Resort.
Enjoying a huge snowdrift at around 11,500 feet.
More fun in the same snowdrift.
Almost to Wheeler Trail, looking back on where we've been: the building
in the background is Peak 9 Restaurant, the town of Breckenridge
far down in the background.
Peak 9/Wheeler Trail Junction - almost to the high point.
The high point of the trip - it's all downhill from here...